Melinda Garcia | vCard
Attorney Melinda Garcia leads the transactional practice group at Garcia & Gurney, ALC. Ms. Garcia has practiced in the areas of business and employment law for fifteen years. She regularly counsels companies in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, employment, executive compensation, intellectual property, international business transactions, formations, and commercial real estate transactions.
She holds degrees from U.C. Berkeley, Santa Clara University School of Law, and a Certificate in the Management Development Entrepreneurship from Anderson School of Management and UCLA.
Ms. Garcia teaches continuing legal education courses on the formation, taxation, and operation of Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships in California, and has been the keynote speaker for the San Francisco Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners. She is a licensed to practice law in California and Texas.
Ms. Garcia enjoys a “Superb” peer rating from AVVO and was selected as part of the Top 10% of Lawyers practicing Employment Law by the Lawyers of Distinction for 2015-2016. In 2011, the Women’s Initiative named her Entrepreneur of the Year in the Professional category. Ms. Garcia is currently a board member of the Western Regional Minority Supplier Development Council and a member of the Alliance of CEOs.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law (1999)
- B.A., University of California at Berkeley (1995)
- UCLA, Anderson School of Management, Certificate in Entrepreneurial Studies (2014)
- State Bar of California (2000-Present)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- LLCs, LLPs and Partnerships Organization and Operation, Lorman (2008)
- Advanced LLC Issues, NBI (2008, 2011)
- Drafting Operating Agreements for LLCs, National Business Institute Seminar (2008)
- Essential Skills to Drafting LLC Agreements, National Business Institute Seminar (2008)
- Complications of Employment Law, The Suit Magazine (2014)
|Exit Strategies – Business Succession Workshop||2016|
|Managing Your Workforce||2016|
|Getting Ready for 2016: Employment Law Update||2015|
|Guide to Understanding Paid Sick Leave||2015|
|Managing Your Workforce in 2015||2014|
|Cleaning House; Getting Ready for 2014||2013|
|How to Stay out of Trouble in 2012
(Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising)
|Management, Effective Performance & Terminations in the Workplace||2012|
|How to Avoid Legal Problems In Your Business||How to Avoid Legal Problems In Your Business (Mt. Diablo Business Women's Association)||2012|
|2012 Legal and Tax Update: Start the Year Off Right||2012 Legal and Tax Update: Start the Year Off Right (Women in Consulting)||2012|
|Advanced LLC Issues, NBI||Advanced LLC Issues, NBI||2011|
|Exit Strategies for Small Business Owners||Exit Strategies for Small Business Owners||2009|
|LLCs, LLPs and Partnerships Organization and Operations||LLCs, LLPs and Partnerships Organization and Operations||2008|
|Advanced LLC Issues, NBI||Advanced LLC Issues, NBI||2008|