Pleasanton Business Attorneys Help Companies Manage Risks and Liability
Corporate law firm provides asset-protection strategies and insurance assessments
Every business venture involves risk, and failure to manage that risk effectively can irreparably harm a company that might otherwise have been a smashing success. At Garcia & Gurney, ALC, we’re dedicated to helping our clients overcome every impediment to success. Our attorneys understand the full range of liability issues that confront business in California, and can design asset protection strategies to fit your company’s needs. By employing a combination of corporate structuring and insurance planning, we can help you minimize your exposure.
Structuring your company to protect against lawsuits
Potential plaintiffs and their attorneys tend to view corporate entities as deep pockets to target for litigation. To discourage lawsuits and minimize potential payouts, you must put as many of your corporate assets as possible out of reach of a court judgment. Our attorneys can show you how to structure your corporate holdings to limit a plaintiff’s reach. This is especially important for entrepreneurs operating as an S-Corp, LLC or DBA, who may not have given their personal assets as much protection as corporate law provides.
Assessing insurance coverage to ensure optimum protection
The second layer of protection for any company is liability insurance. Garcia & Gurney, ALC reviews policies and assesses the adequacy of coverage for your particular business. In Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, the major areas of liability are:
- Premises and operations — A business that invites the general public or business associates onto its grounds can be held liable for any injuries those visitors sustain.
- Products — When your company produces a defective product that injures a consumer, the company is strictly liable for the harm.
- Data breach — If hackers gain access to your customer database, seizing confidential data, your company may be liable for damages that result from the security breach.
- Employment practices — Employees can bring legal action against your company for violations of state and federal law related to equal protection, sexual harassment or a violation of many other statutory rights.
- Professional liability — Certain business, such as medical practices, law practices and architectural firms, must insure against errors and omissions or malpractice.
How much insurance to carry in which areas depends upon the nature of your business. Remember that judgments in excess of your insurance limits can result in the seizure of company—and even personal—assets. Be sure to consult an experienced business attorney to put an appropriate asset-protection plan in place.
Contact our corporate attorneys in Pleasanton for advice on liability management
Garcia & Gurney, ALC supports our business clients with comprehensive asset-protection plans to shield companies from lawsuit liability. If you’re doing business in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, make sure that you have optimal asset protection. To schedule a consultation with a knowledgeable attorney, call us today at 925-468-0400 or contact us online.