Tod C. Gurney
Shareholder Tod C. Gurney heads Garcia & Gurney, ALC's General Civil Litigation practice group. His practice focuses on commercial and business disputes, including employment, real estate, leasing, construction, collections, employment, unfair business practices, business ownership disputes, and claims of banks and financial institutions. Mr. Gurney regularly appears in state and federal courts, as well as in private forums such as mediations and arbitrations.
While in law school, Mr. Gurney served as an articles editor for the Santa Clara Law Review. Before joining Garcia & Gurney, ALC in 2008, he practiced in the Commercial Litigation Group of the San Jose law firm of Hopkins & Carley. Previously, he was a research attorney for the Santa Clara County Superior Court. Mr. Gurney has also served as a judicial extern for the Honorable James M. Ideman (Ret.), United States District Court, Central District of California.
He has been a San Francisco Bay Area native with a deep commitment to community service. He is a member of the Rotary Club of Dublin and was in the 2008 class of the Leadership Pleasanton program. From 2008 to 2010, he served as a member of the Board of Directors of InnVision, a non-profit organization which addresses homelessness in Santa Clara County and San Mateo County.
Along with fellow shareholder Melinda Garcia, Mr. Gurney has served for several years as an attorney coach for the Amador Valley High School Mock Trial team, which was the Alameda County Champion in 2007 and 2010. Mr. Gurney has also served as a Director and Secretary for the Eastern Alameda County Bar Association.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law (1998)
- University of California, Davis, B.A., Political Science (1993)
Prior Work History:
- Shareholder at Garcia & Gurney, ALC, ALC 2008-present
- Attorney at Hopkins & Carley, ALC 2001-2008
- Research Attorney at Santa Clara Superior Court 1999-2001
- Judicial Extern at U.S. District Court, Central District, Hon. James M. Ideman Summer, 1997
- Comment: The Aftermath of the Virginia Military Institute Decision: Will Single-Gender Education Survive?, Santa Clara Law Review (1998)
- Managing your Workforce: 2015
- Managing Your Workforce: 2014
- Cleaning House: Getting Ready for 2014
- Management, Effective Performance & Terminations in the Workplace 2012