Employment Law Attorneys Serving Companies in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties
Trusted partners in managing workplace relationships
Garcia & Gurney, A Law Corporation provides comprehensive employment law services for businesses and employees. Our business clients benefit from informed, proactive legal counsel, and effective management and planning designed to reduce liability exposure. Our attorneys counsel business clients in wage and hour compliance, workplace policy development and compliance, employee stock option plans, hiring and terminating, and training and disciplining. Our employee-side clients receive knowledgeable counsel on employment contract negotiations and effective strategies for remediating perceived unfair treatment at work as well as aggressive advocacy in defense of their rights in the workplace.
Employment law services help employers and employees
In our comprehensive employment law practice, our lawyers routinely handle cases involving:
- Discrimination — We help employers develop sound, nondiscriminatory practices so their employment actions are documented and defensible, and we help employees rectify unlawful treatment when they’ve been discriminated against at work. We represent either side in state and federal court, and before agencies such as the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- Disability accommodation and discrimination — We help employers develop nondiscriminatory hiring practices and reach reasonable accommodations with disabled employees. We also represent employees whose right to workplace accommodation has been infringed.
- Workplace investigations — Our firm assists employers in a variety of investigations to discern and remediate unfair practices and to properly discipline noncompliant employees.
- Whistleblowing and retaliation — Our attorneys work with businesses to develop protocols for managing whistleblower activities in compliance with state and federal law. We also represent whistleblowers who have faced unlawful retaliation for the exercise of their statutory rights.
- Compliance practices — Our firm reviews business practices to help ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Reductions in force — We help ensure regulatory compliance when businesses downsize.
- Termination — Our firm helps businesses develop proper protocols for employee discipline to avoid any appearance of unlawful conduct. We also represent workers in wrongful termination suits when employers violate statutory or contractual rights.
- Social media and employment — In this emerging area of the law, we help employers and employees balance privacy rights with legitimate business concerns, especially in the areas of background checks and defamation.
- Wage and hour issues — Given our significant number of Silicon Valley clients, we are particularly sensitive to the laws regarding commissions, overtime exemptions and other issues particular to high-tech employees. We advise companies on policies and procedures to remain compliant with California and U.S. labor laws, and represent our businesses and employees in court and before administrative agencies.
- Overtime exemptions — Questions of whether an employee is exempt from overtime pay have significant financial ramifications. We vigorously represent our clients’ interests to ensure a favorable outcome in overtime pay disputes.
- High-tech/computer professionals — Experience has given our firm special insights into the particular concerns of employers and employees in the high-tech industry.
- Classification of independent contractors — This issue has significant ramifications for employers and employees with regard to benefits, such as health, workers’ compensation and unemployment insurance.
- Employment contracts — Our knowledgeable attorneys negotiate all aspects of executive compensation packages on behalf of businesses and employees, and we represent either side in contract disputes.
- Restrictive covenants — Silicon Valley companies must protect their intellectual property. We also help companies safeguard trade secrets through drafting and enforcing confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements. We also assist employees in enforcement actions when a restrictive covenant has unreasonably infringed on their right to seek gainful employment.
Contact our Pleasanton employment attorneys for trustworthy representation
Through advice, counsel, practical assistance and courtroom advocacy, the employment attorneys at Garcia & Gurney, A Law Corporation work to keep area employers in compliance with all applicable employment laws. We also help employees assert their rights in the workplace. For advice and representation in any employment law matter, contact Garcia & Gurney, A Law Corporation ALC online or by calling 925-468-0400.